Electronic Prescribing Service
What is the Electronic Prescribing Service (EPS)?
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service that gives you the opportunity to change how your GP sends your prescriptions. Using EPS, you can select where your prescriptions are sent, allowing you to pick up your medicines/appliances from a pharmacy of your choosing.
What does this mean for you?
If you collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP, you will no longer be required to visit your GP practice to collect a paper prescription. Instead, your GP will now send an electronic copy to the place of your choosing, saving you time.
- You will have more choice about where to get your medicines, as you can now collect them from a pharmacy nearer to where you live, work, or shop.
- You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy, as there will be time for your repeat prescription to be prepared, ready for you when you arrive.
Is this service right for you?
This service may be perfect for you if you have a stable condition and you;
- Don't want to go to your GP practice to collect your repeat prescriptions.
- Are able to collect your medicines from the same place most of the time, or use a prescription collection service already.
This service may not be appropriate for you if you;
- Don't collect prescriptions very often.
- Often collect your prescriptions from different locations.
How can you use EPS?
In order to make use of EPS, you need to choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescriptions to. This is called a nomination, and you can choose one of the following:
- A pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one).
- Your dispensing GP practice (if you are eligible).
You aren't required to have a computer to add a nomination. Simply visit any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS and ask them to add your nomination for you. This can also be done at your GP practice.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
If you don't want your prescription to be sent electronically, please inform your GP. If you want to change or cancel your nomination, you only need to speak to any pharmacist, or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS, or your GP practice. Please remember to tell them before your next prescription is due, otherwise the service could be interupted, and your prescription sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure, and confidential?
Your electronic prescription will only be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies, and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescriptions currently. Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispensery, but this is to help in situations in which you may have forgotten your nominated location, or have more than one nominated dispensery. Dispensers will also see any items on your re-order slip if you are on repeat prescriptions.
For more information please visit the NHS Choices website .